I am writing an analysis on LGBT composition in the ocean sciences and am finding it difficult to quantify demographics in this regard. The NOGLSTP demographics breakdown seems to include ocean sciences in both physical and life sciences, though I would also expect some representation in engineering and math as well. Unfortunately, there is no deeper drill-down of the data.
This survey is intended for any LGBT professionals who are working in STEM areas affiliated with the ocean.
Please respond to this survey only if you are LGBT.
Click here to take survey.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
All identities will remain confidential in my analysis.
Thanks for any help!
Cheers,
Rick MacPherson
I am an LGBT working in ocean sciences with degrees in marine science (BS) and biological oceanography (MS), I will soon be embarking on a PhD in oceanography. My only LBGT exemplar was a LGBT post-doc in one of the labs where I did my MS who encouraged me to be honest about my orientation and to go for the PhD. Whether it is being in New England or being in a close knit university setting I have experience no hostility or harassment in my academic career or in any labs and professional experiences in Ocean Sciences.
ReplyDeleteI'm an LGBT person working in ocean science. Currently working toward an MS in biology (minor: marine science), then applying to PhD programs in biological oceanography with a marine mammal emphasis. I've really had no LGBT exemplars--as Eric said, it might be the combination of New England and a close knit university setting. My campus is extremely small and there are no LGBT faculty in the sciences (that I know of). It's just never come up--neither hostility nor harassment, but no particular encouragement. Everyone in my lab is functionally married to their work, so sexual orientation is sort of a non-issue? No one really gives it any thought.
ReplyDelete